Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Batman...Pt 2

...we're laying in bed for a while, trying to relax, reading our Bibles, when Millie (our dog) starts running around the bedroom. I look up and sure enough there is another bat and this one is doing laps around our bedroom. Em dives under the covers and I start to get out of bed while the bat takes off down our stairwell. I run over and close the bedroom door so it will stay downstairs. It's about 10:30.

I know I've got to go downstairs and get this thing but I left my gloves and pillowcase down stairs with it. I head down the stairs in to total darkness and flip on the first light in our living room. I can hear the bat flying in to the windows down by the kitchen so I decide to run over to the dining room, flip on every light in the dining/kitchen area and grab my gloves and pillowcase. While I'm doing this the bat decides to start making huge circles through the kitchen, dining room, and living room. So while I'm running around just envision the movie "The Great Outdoors" and the scene with John Candy and Dan Akroyd trying to catch the bat in the cabin. Minus the outfit, this is essentially what I was attempting to do.

Finally the bat decides to hang himself up on the wall in the kitchen. Unfortunately he is too high for me to reach, even while standing on our kitchen counter.

I get the thing from our laundry room that we use to Swiffer the floor and I rig the pillowcase on it so that I can try to snag this guy. I jump up on the kitchen counter again and head towards the bat. His ears are like little radars twitching this way and that. I get right underneath him and then pin him against the wall with the Swiffer rig. I'm thinking at best he's stunned, at worst he's dead. I try sliding my rig down the wall so that I can wrap him up in the pillowcase. Just as I reach up to slide the pillowcase over the top of him he takes off. I jump off the counter, hit the floor, and head back to the stair well.

The bat continues doing laps around the whole living area and I decide to open the doors to see if he will just fly out. Twice the little idiot flies out the front door and then right back in, what a punk. He again decides to hang himself up on the wall, this time up above our desk in the corner. I have to get on top of the desk to reach him and when I lunge for him it's a total miss and he takes off AGAIN! I in turn fall off the desk sending a few things to the floor, the desk slams shut, and I fortunately don't break anything.

Now the bat is doing the circles again and I'm sitting there thinking, where's my baseball bat? This guy has got to go. He doesn't fly long this time and hangs himself on the wall above the desk again. I run back over to the desk, jump up on it and smash him against the wall with the pillowcase over my hand. I'VE GOT HIM!

Em was upstairs the whole time and so I had to take this picture myself. This one didn't move so much so I'm thinking he's dead. I head outside and dump out the pillowcase assuming I'm going to have to dig a hole. Fortunately he flies off, or maybe that wasn't so fortunate. It's now 11:10 and I am totally wired from all this action. I do another sweep of the entire house, to no avail, and head to bed. I'm tired but wired and suffice it to say that we did not sleep well that night. It also didn't help that it was the first night Seth decided to sleep without a pullup and he showed up at my bedside around 3am to tell me that he wet his bed.

Tracy did come the next morning and after examining the poop told us that the bats had probably been in our house for several days, maybe even as long as a week. We're thinking, how could we not notice 2 bats living in our house for days? But apparently he has a client who has 200-400 bats living in her house so I guess we're not too bad off. We also showed him, what we thought was mouse poop, that falls from the attic in to a corner of our bedroom. Sorry dad, but all that poop you thought was from mice in the attic...it's bats. Now Tracy is supposed to come over today and we're going to venture in to the attic to scope out the joint and see what the situation is exactly. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm guessing this was a different night since you're not wearing the same shirt. Crazy man, I hope you don't have an entire "colony" living in your attic.

Maybe you'll actually find Batman...

Josh, Emily, and Kids said...

Actually, same night. The Superman shirt I just threw on cuz I wasn't wearing one. I should have grabbed my Batman shirt, oh well.