Friday, December 12, 2008

Me, Domestic??

So, do you know what these are??? No, not tomatoes. They are persimmons. I know you're thinking, "what?" My dad gave me a bag of persimmons while at home over Thanksgiving and so I decided I'd make Persimmon Jam. I called my mom, the only person I know with a bachelors degree in Home Economics, to ask her a few canning questions and do you know what she said...."wow, Emily you're really becoming domestic." So domestic or not I tried to make Jam.

I followed a recipe I found online....it was pretty easy and here's my results. It made 7 1/2 jars.
Of course the real question is, does it taste good. Josh gave it a thumbs up, and I also really liked it. It kind of tastes like a mild apricot jam (since most people don't automatically know what a persimmon tastes like). I saved a jar for my dad who gave me the persimmons and one for my friend Josh Tate who made rose hip jelly a few months ago and gave me some. The rest will go to some friends for Christmas. I'd say.... it was a success!

6 comments:

The Urke Family said...

impressive

barefootkangaroo said...

Excellent!

sarah said...

I'm excited!

Lamphear Family said...

Fantastic!!

Dawn said...

Do you remember when I asked you if I was domestic? I don't think I knew what it meant...oh gosh!

Kelly said...

I was just asking my mom what they were because someone had made cookies out of them. They sound good!